Friday 29 March 2024

Easter Sunday 2 bike ride final (I hope) arrangements

I'm changing this again (see the runs list) as the roads around my destination of Kirkby Stephen are likely to be affected by the Easter Fayre and Cumbria Easter rally (Thanks to Rachel for pointing it out)

Instead of doing the River Eden Source to Sea part one, I'm going to do the middle bit. It's more familiar to most of us but hopefully quiet. I will put on part one and part three on other days.

I'm still going to start at 9.30 am in Appleby and I think, on a Sunday, parking by the Hub is free.

Pam has very kindly stepped in to provide a venue for our stops and, as her outside decking has a fabulous view of the river, it fits in very well with the theme of the ride. You need to bring your lunch.

The idea behind the 'Source to Sea' is that you travel along one side of the river and return the other side. Roads don't always co-operate. From Appleby we will be travelling via Colby and crossing the river by the owl tree on our way to Temple Sowerby, stopping when we arrive at Langwathby (13.7 miles, eta 10.45). If you wish to join us at Langwathby that is a possibility - please let me know so that you know where to find us.

From Langwathby we cross the bridge and turn right at Toll Bar cottage travelling through Great Salkeld and on to Lazonby where we cross the river again towards Kirkoswald, turning right as we enter the village and cycle up Harrumphy Hill (which you won't find identified on the map) to Glassonby and back down to Langwathby for lunch.

After that we head up the hill out of Langwathby to pick up the Skirwith road and the higher fellside route back to Appleby.

Please remember that the clocks spring forward Saturday night. Let me know if you're coming so that I won't just be wondering if anyone has slept in or forgotten to re-set their clocks.

I still have memories of the embarrassment of turning up at the Cross Keys, Frenchfield, to lead a ride an hour late!

Alison

07500 564922


No comments:

Post a Comment