Tuesday 11 July 2023

2 Bike Ride Wednesday 12th July

This is a bit of a challenge ride - can anyone get up Hartside more slowly than I can? It's several years since I tried but I've visited the Nook Farm cafe and I know it's worth the climb.

We are starting inside the Village Bakery at 9 am for coffee and breakfast rolls for anyone needing a bit of extra fortification before visiting the Roman fortifications. 

At 9.30 we depart outside the Bakery and will head along the fellside through Gamblesby and Renwick, eta at the turning up the hill just before Renwick around 10 am. I know the Renwick route is a steep one - it was chosen for the Sustrans C2C route so it's bound to be - but the advantage is that it keeps you away from the A686 for longer and there are fewer people to see me get off my bike and push. And once you actually join the A686 you have broken the back of the hill... it's just the bit in between.

According to Google it's just under 16 miles to the cafe but they will be slow ones. 

Don't forget that the return downhill from Hartside could be cold so bring enough clothes.

I hope this mad plan appeals to some... Nigel says he's joining me!

No comments:

Post a Comment